Jacobs Media's Dave Beasing joins us with thoughts about breakfast & radio:
75% of McDonald's restaurants open by 5 AM daily. The other 25% were urged to fire up the griddle earlier at a recent franchisee meeting in Las Vegas. Why? Not unlike in the radio business, morning drive is proving lucrative, with McDonald's able to catch commuters on the go. In fact, McDonalds’ breakfast menu is being credited for much of the fast food chain’s recent growth – up an average 7.4% at each store this year.
As this national AQH Rating chart from Arbitron illustrates, 5 AM listening levels aren’t much less than in afternoon drive, and – by 6 AM – radio’s prime listening daypart is well underway. If the $8 an hour crew at Mickey-D’s is ready to serve up something tasty by 5, shouldn’t the same be true of radio’s drivetime stars?